Just a fun, easy way to share my recipes with friends and family. Enjoy!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Dutch Baby, Baby

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend.  We enjoyed a very relaxing Saturday and Sunday, and then had a fun-filled Monday. It was really nice getting so much family time in. We also did quite a bit of cooking. We grilled enough stuff Sunday evening to last us a few meals, and then I decided to make us a Dutch Baby for breakfast Monday morning.


A Dutch Baby is a German pancake.  It's usually made in an iron skillet and puffs up quite a bit when cooking, but then deflates a little when you pull it out. I also noticed that a lot of people serve them with lemon and sugar, but I was out of lemons so I just served mine with the choice of strawberries and whipped cream or butter and syrup.

  

I also felt that I needed to double the recipe to have enough for all my hungry boys. And since I didn't have another iron skillet, I did mini ones in my muffin tin like the ones I found on makeandtakes.com.



The best thing, for me is that this took a little less work than regular pancakes and there are no weird ingredients involved, just usual stuff that most of us have. And if you don't have an iron skillet, you can just use the muffin pan or a deep baking dish. Yum!

Dutch Baby

1/2 cup flour
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
3 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 400

Place butter in skillet and put in oven to melt.

Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Remove pan and add batter to pan. Butter may be brown and foamy, and that's ok, just pour batter over the butter.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until pancake is golden and fluffy.

For Mini Babies..

Instead of butter, just spray muffin tin with cooking spray. Divide batter evenly among the pan and bake for 10-15 min.

Serve with your toppings of choice.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment